It's funny because it seems that recently I've heard the comment to my husband while he's training me, "I can't believe you train your wife." Or "I can't believe your wife lets you train her." I don't understand why other people can't believe it. Okay, I have to admit it hasn't always been easy for me to receive his instruction in a workout, but I'm happy to say that I think I'm improving. I honestly think it has helped to be in a group environment when he trains me-like bootcamp or working out with a friend or two. It forces me to bite my tongue and just work out hard. My goal is to not come against his training by questioning him in front of others-or whining and complaining, so I try to be quiet and focus on my work out.
I appreciate that he knows what are my weaknesses/strengths and creates a work out around them.
I truly love allowing him to train me and am so thankful that he's incredibly patient with me.
I believe he's learned that exercising definitely makes me happier and I've learned through reading For Women Only that it really means a lot to him that I make an effort to exercise. It's a win win situation!
According to my husband, some of the most important things to remember about exercise:
*Make sure you have correct form-don't just get it done or try to use too much weight
*Breathe! Most people hold their breathe when they exercise, but you'd be surprised the results they gain by simply breathing
*Weight training is critical as well as cardio-gives strength, corrects posture/form, typically burns more calories than cardio
*Don't overtrain-45-60 minutes a day is plenty & don't do the same things 2 days in a row
*Recovery-eating, drinking and rest are crucial-work outs tell our bodies how to change in the future and they need the materials & time to change
*Breathe! Most people hold their breathe when they exercise, but you'd be surprised the results they gain by simply breathing
*Weight training is critical as well as cardio-gives strength, corrects posture/form, typically burns more calories than cardio
*Don't overtrain-45-60 minutes a day is plenty & don't do the same things 2 days in a row
*Recovery-eating, drinking and rest are crucial-work outs tell our bodies how to change in the future and they need the materials & time to change
His most popular exercises he utilizes with clients:
*Push ups
* Pull ups
*Deadlifts
*Lunges
*Rows
*Leg lifts
*Superman
*Squats
*Dips
*Bicycle crunches (slow & fast)
...but all these have variations
A typical workout is:
I warm up on the treadmill or elliptical for 5-10 minutes
40 jumping jacks
40 good mornings
20 alternating lunges + 20 squats (3 sets)
20 deadlifts + 20 slow bicycle crunches + 20 fast bicycle crunches (3 sets)
10 pull ups (assisted) (2 sets)
20 lying down leg lifts + 1 minute superman (3 sets)
25 push ups + 25 bent over dumbbell rows (3 sets)
20 dips + 20 squats (3 sets)
Then a 15 minute cool down on treadmill walking and stretching on the mats
(Josh & I on a bike ride last fall before winter hit
...can't wait for it to warm up so we can ride again!)
* Pull ups
*Deadlifts
*Lunges
*Rows
*Leg lifts
*Superman
*Squats
*Dips
*Bicycle crunches (slow & fast)
...but all these have variations
A typical workout is:
I warm up on the treadmill or elliptical for 5-10 minutes
40 jumping jacks
40 good mornings
20 alternating lunges + 20 squats (3 sets)
20 deadlifts + 20 slow bicycle crunches + 20 fast bicycle crunches (3 sets)
10 pull ups (assisted) (2 sets)
20 lying down leg lifts + 1 minute superman (3 sets)
25 push ups + 25 bent over dumbbell rows (3 sets)
20 dips + 20 squats (3 sets)
Then a 15 minute cool down on treadmill walking and stretching on the mats
(Josh & I on a bike ride last fall before winter hit
...can't wait for it to warm up so we can ride again!)
Great tips and motivation. I miss those strenuous workout that leave you feeling soooo good:) If you guys ever come back to Santa Monica I will hopefully be one of the friends training next to you!:)
ReplyDeleteI love these tips.
ReplyDeleteI think he wouldn't like me as a client - I am out of breath just reading your typical workout! He'd have to charge me each time I complained to motivate me from complaining! I marvel at the idea of being married to a trainer - definitely a plus as far as keeping fit goes and a pastor - well, that's better yet - he'd have a workout there, too!
ReplyDeleteWell don't you look fabulous! Being married to a trainer does have it's benefits! Good job. . .
ReplyDelete